Partner2Lose StudyDo you want to lose weight? Are you ready to try something new?
Partner2Lose is a nutrition and weight loss study at UW-Madison that will compare two ways for losing weight:
1. Participating in a weight loss program without your partner (partner only participates in data collection visits)
2. Participating in a weight loss program with support from your spouse or life partner (partner attends classes and data collection visits)
Who can participate?
You must have a partner to participate in this research study.
- 18-74 years old
- living with a spouse of life partner who is at least 18 years old and willing to participate with you
- not pregnant or breastfeeding
AND you and your partner
- are willing to participate in a 2-year nutrition and weight loss program, including group classes and individual telephone calls
- have individual smart phones with data and texting plan (you will each need your own texting plan, individual email addresses, and regular access to internet)
If you qualify for the study:
1. You and your partner will be assigned to one of two groups, either the “participant alone” or the “participant with partner” group. This assignment will be random like flipping a coin.
2. In the “participant alone” group, ONLY you will participate in the classes and do the phone calls. In the “participant with partner” group you will attend classes and do the phone calls together with your partner. Partners will complete data collection visits no matter which group you are assigned to.
You will not know in advance which group you are assigned to. You will find out which group you are assigned to at the first class in March.
You will receive all classes and telephone calls at no cost to you. You will also receive a Fitbit watch ($60 value, one per couple) and a resistance exercise band.
Everyone who is interested is encouraged to complete an online screener to see if they meet eligibility requirements for the study.
. What do I need to do to participate?
1. Complete an online screener (one for you and one for your partner) to see if you and your partner are a good fit for the study. You will not be able to move on in the study enrollment process until both you and your partner have completed the online screening.
2. Attend a one-hour, virtual enrollment visit (conducted via the video conferencing platform Webex) with your partner. At this visit, you and your partner will first provide verbal consent. Then, you both will be asked to complete surveys.
3. Attend online group classes about nutrition and physical activity every two weeks for 6 months. You will attend the first group class by yourself and will find out then whether your partner will be attending subsequent classes with you or if you will be attending them by yourself.
Days of the week for the group classes that will start in March 2021:
- Mondays at 4:30 PM or 6:30 PM
- Thursdays at 4:30 PM or 6:30 PM
You will attend classes on the day you select. *Update: As of January 19, 2021, all Thursday time slots are full. Monday class times are still available.
You and your partner will need to be available for both the 4:30 PM AND the 6:30 PM start times. After you are enrolled, you will be assigned to ONE of the start times.
Click images below to view/download full PDF
4. Participate in individual telephone calls. In months 7-12 you will receive one telephone call per month. In months 13-18 you will receive a telephone call every other month.
5. Attend in-person measurement visits in Madison with your partner every six months where you will have your weight measured and complete surveys. These visits will be scheduled at month 6, 12, 18 and 24. You will be paid $40 each at visits 6, 12 and 18 and $60 each at the 24 month measurement visit for a total of $180 each.
- No matter which group you are in, both you and your partner will be paid for completing in-person measurement visits every 6 months.
- You will be able to choose a time and location in Madison for the in-person measurement visits that is most convenient for you.
6. Complete surveys in months 3, 9, 15 and 21. You will receive a link to the surveys via e-mail so that you can complete them at home, on your own.